Call Your Sister
Atlanta Sister Trip & World Narcissistic Awareness Day
June 02, 2021
Astrid and Alexandra
In today's episode sisters Alexandra Hodge and Astrid Ferguson discuss their recent sister trip to Atlanta and bring awareness to World Narcissistic Awareness Day.
- June 1st is World Narcissistic Awareness Day
- Narcissistic abuse is a form of emotional and psychological abuse. It is primarily inflicted by individuals who have either narcissistic personality disorder (NPD, which is characterized by a lack of empathy), or antisocial personality disorder (ASPD, also known as sociopaths or psychopaths), and is associated with the absence of a conscience (Listen to episodes 3 & 4 if you want to learn more about possibly being in a toxic relationship and or our commentary episode 27 where we discuss the netflix special of Malcolm and Marie)
- Approximately one in every 10 people is walking around without a conscience, or at best, lacks empathy. According to the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), the prevalence in the general population for antisocial personality disorder is estimated at 3.3% percent and the prevalence of narcissistic personality disorder is as high as 6% percent.
- There are approximately 326 million people in the U.S. (The U.S. population has increased) and 6% percent of them have narcissistic personality disorder, which equals 19,560,000people. If each of those people narcissistically abuse just five people during their lives, that amounts to an additional 97.8 million people!
- If you apply the same formula to the world population using the current population estimate of 7.5 billion, are you ready for this?
- 3.3% of 7.5 billion = 247,500,000 people with antisocial personality disorder
- 6% of 7.5 billion= 450,000,000 people with narcissistic personality disorder
- 247,500,000 + 450,000,000 = 697,500,000 people who lack empathy, or are without a conscience. If each of those people narcissistically abuse just five people during their lives, the tally of potential damage affects over 3.4 billion people!
- Some typical characteristics of narcissistic abuse include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Emotional coercion
- Extreme selfishness
- Guilt mongering
- Financial abuse
- Extreme jealousy
- "[o]ver 158 million people are negatively affected by narcissistic abuse. That's more people than are affected by depression, yet there is a lack of public education and awareness campaigns about it."
Support the show
Don’t forget to follow us on our social media accounts:
Facebook: Call Your Sister Podcast